What is a Sub-Slab Depressurization System?
It is a type of radon mitigation system that pulls radon gas and other gas from the soil below a concrete slab.
How to Correctly Install a Sub-Slab Depressurization System
Installation of a Class A Sub-Slab Depressurization System must meet all EPA recommendations, as well as all local building, electric, and plumbing codes. A reliable radon abatement company will perform the following actions:
- Drill a core in the concrete slab and remove the immediate underlying soil, thus creating a foundation suction point.
- Construct an airflow pathway from a suction point with schedule 40 4” PVC pipe that exits the exterior wall.
- Connect the airflow pathway to an American-made RadonAway RP-260 radon fan on the outside of the home or in the garage/garage attic if possible.
- Mount a discharge pathway above the radon fan that terminates above the roofline. If a fan is placed on the outside of the home, then a 4×3” aluminum downspout will be used. If a fan is installed in a garage/garage attic, then a schedule 40 4” PVC will be used and vent through the roof using a thermoplastic vent flashing meeting all local building codes. Seal any necessary cracks and joints in the concrete slab foundation.
- Connect the fan with on/off switch to power using outdoor rated connections that meet all local electrical codes.
- It is ideal if the installer leaves the working area (carpet, flooring, drywall, among others) in pristine condition.
- The system has to include installation of the following:
- Manometer system indicator to monitor fan suction and system performance
- Hydro-Sep above fan to drain condensation before it re-enters the system
- Wire screen at termination point to prevent debris from entering and damaging the radon fan
- Rubber bushings on the fan connection to reduce noise.
A well-designed depressurization system blocks any toxic vapors from invading your home or building, so don‘t risk your family‘s health and contact Absolute Radon Safety today!
Absolute Radon Safety makes radon mitigation easy. We protect your home from radon gas without hassle, headache, or hidden charges. Our radon systems work great, look great, and are backed by the best warranty in the business. Our dedicated office staff is here to answer all of your questions, as well as ensure you are satisfied with the results of your radon system.